Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Since my DH and DS could make a meal just on taters, I'm always searching for new and great tater recipes, this one happens to be a really good one. If you like some heat add in some cayenne pepper or chopped jalapeno.
- 5 lbs potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 onion, chopped (I use 2 medium onions)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt or 2 -3 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- Peel the potatoes and place in cold water to prevent turning dark; set aside.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add in onion and garlic; saute until soft (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add in the evaporated milk and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, salt and pepper; beat until frothy.
- Shred the potatoes, and add to the egg mixture; toss to combine.
- Add in the milk mixture; stir to combine.
- Set aside about 1 cup of cheese and add the rest to the potato mixture, and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and return to oven, bake for an additional 25-30 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve hot.
This is a FABULOUS recipe for a side dish! I cut the recipe basically in half, using about 2 1/4 pounds of potatoes, a 5 oz. can of evaporated milk, and everything else exactly 1/2. The potatoes shredded up quickly in my mini food processor, and the dish came together quickly and nicely. I think some chicken bouillion granules would really make this over the top, but it really lends itself nicely to add whatever you'd like as far as seasonings or even other veggies if you'd like. SUPER side dish that we all LOVED!