Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very forgiving recipe. They keep changing package sizes but this recipe doesn't seem to mind.
Make and share this Easy Cheesy Funeral Potluck Party Potatoes With Optional Add-Ins recipe from Food.com.
- 28 -32 ounces hash brown potatoes
- 10 3⁄4 cream of chicken soup or 10 3⁄4 cream of mushroom soup
- 8 -16 ounces sour cream (I use light)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 -10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (I use 2 percent)
- optional ingredients may be added -- broccoli, chicken, ground beef, sausage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9x13 pan.
- Saute onion in butter til tender, don't brown.
- Mix all ingredients together in bowl including onions and butter.
- Pour potato mixture in pan and cover,bake aprox. 1 hour. uncover last 10 minute.
My aunt makes funeral potatoes for family gatherings, and of course church happenings, but I'd never tried them until last year. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them, despite the list of ingredients we don't normally use. I don't have her recipe though, so I chose to try this one out on Christmas day for a small, immediate family dinner. DH doesn't eat cheese, except in very rare exceptions, and cheddar is never one of those, so he didn't try this dish, but DS, DD and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Next time I think I'll reduce the amount of chicken soup slightly and try browning it all a little longer, as the crunchy bits were a favorite part of the dish. Thanks for sharing another great recipe, scotty's mom!