Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Start this brunch casserole the night or day before you intend to serve it.It's perfect for serving a crowd! Originally from a May 1980 issue of Bon Appetit featuring a Family Country Breakfast.
- 4 cups French bread, day-old and cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups milk (1 quart)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 -10 slices bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Generously butter 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange bread cubes in dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat together next 5 ingredients with pepper to taste and pour evenly over bread and cheese.
- Sprinkle with bacon,mushrooms,and tomatoes.
- Cover and chill at least 12 but up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake casserole uncovered until set, about 1 hour (tent with foil if top begins to over brown).
Oh Leslie, thank you for posting this! I have made this before with excellent results. It lends well to a variety of options. I always add 1/2 cup minced green onions to it as well. This is a great brunch dish! Kit