Recipe by Ridgely
A delicious broccoli cheese soup with just a pop of cayenne taste. Comfort food at its best! From Cuisine at Home Magazine. Frozen broccoli heated ahead time can be substituted for fresh blanched broccoli.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb American cheese, shredded (4 cups)
- 6 cups broccoli florets, and stems blanched
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery; cover and sweat 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour to coat vegetables and cook 1 minute.
- Slowly add broth, stirring constantly, increase heat to medium-high, then bring to a rolling boil.
- Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, then reduce heat to medium.
- Add cheese; let stand 1 minute, then stir until incorporated.
- Simmer soup for 3 minutes (do not boil or cheese may curdle), add blanched broccoli and cook another minute.
- Season with cayenne and salt.