Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a quick, creamy, hearty soup - terrific on a cold, dreary day. My family raves about it!
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (optional)
- Place broth, onions, and broccoli in a pan and simmer 8-10 minutes. You should still see small chunks of broccoli floating in it.
- Add milk and stir in potato flakes.
- Stir in butter and cheese. Heat 2-3 more minutes. Serve with oyster crackers or saltines.
- Adjust soup's consistency by adding milk to thin or potato flakes to thicken. If you want a saltier soup add a bouillon cube.