Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I adapted the rice and chicken bake from the Campbell cookbook because I had no mushroom soup. So here is my take on it.
- 2 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of broccoli soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can broccoli cheese soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese (whatever you want, I like Mexican blend)
- Mix soup, water, rice, broccoli, paprika, salt and pepper in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Put chicken on top on rice mixture and sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Top with cheese. (I also put some Parmesan and Breadcrumbs on here too, but that's optional).
- Cover and bake 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until chicken and rice is done.
So I made this last night... and I kind of accidentally added a can of cheddar cheese soup. I could've sworn the recipe called for it. But the good news is, it didn't turn out terrible. Granted I did have to cook it a little longer to thicken it up a bit, but it was good. The only negative, which probably won't affect many people is that I used the chunks of broccoli instead of just the florets and my lapband didn't enjoy the huge chunks. So next time I will just use the florets. Oh and I cooked the chicken before I added it, so mine was fully cooked, but I didn't cook the rice before hand and it turned out just fine.
This did not turn out very well for me. The chicken and rice did not cook all the way through, and I left it in the oven for an extra 10 minutes. The rice was partly my fault because I used basmati rice rather than white rice, but the chicken was still raw in the middle at 40 minutes. I think it would have been good if the rice and chicken were cooked right, but it takes more than 45 minutes. :(