Recipe by LilPinkieJ
Ultimate Wisconsin stereotype food. yet, it is so good, so why worry? The ingredient list looks long, but the flavor is well worth it. This comes together so quick and easy.
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1 cup carrot, minced
- 1 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb smoked sausage, diced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 10 ounces beer (non alcoholic works just fine)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup white cheese-flavored popcorn
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy stockpot, sauté celery, carrots, red pepper and onion in butter until tender, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add diced sausage and sauté for a few more minutes. Stir in flour. Pour in beer, half and half and chicken broth. Wisk often and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and and stir in cheese. Add dash of hot sauce and season with a little more salt and pepper.
- If soup gets too thick add more chicken broth or a little milk. Garnish with cheese popcorn or croûtons and soup chopped parsley.