Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Healthy, yummy, and uses the ENTIRE ASPARAGUS SPEAR. From the Nitty Gritty Italian Cookbook.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus.
- Using a sharp paring knife, peel each spear so that the tender part is exposed.
- When done, the spear should be pale green with the same thickness from stem to tip.
- Tie the spears in bundles of 6 or 7 each and lay the bundles flat in an oblong pot.
- Cover with salted water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer about 12 minutes for young spears and 16 to 18 minutes for thick spears.
- Asparagus should be tender but not limp.
- When a knife easily penetrates the stems, the asparagus is done.
- Drain and blot on a linen towel, place the bundles on a hot platter and remove the strings.
- Sprinkle with cheese and dot with butter.