Recipe by spatchcock
Yummy appetizer for a party!! These were a hit for a recent get-together we had with friends.
Top Review by ciao
These are wonderful! They are a little hard to knead, but don't give up! The dough all comes together pretty quickly! We did have to add a few tsp. of cold water. My guests just gobbled them up! They are very cheesy, and the coarse salt sprinkled on is a nice touch! This makes ALOT of straws, by the way! Two large cookie sheets full! One worth trying!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, butter, and cayenne with a fork or in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in the cheese and knead by hand until the mixture holds together, adding a few drops of cold water if necessary.
- This mixture may be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen until ready to use.
- Roll the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch (5 mm) and cut into strips about 1/2 inch (1 cm wide) and 4 inches (10 cm) long.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 450F (230C) until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.