Recipe by Recipewrestler
Everyone should know that if you see a young lady with a T-shirt proclaiming G.R.I.T.S, she's proudly letting you know that she's a Girl Raised In The South. She knows how to cook and eat the real thing...grits. Y'all, I like 'em cheesy.
Top Review by NoSpringChicken
Looking for a new side dish, I came across this delicious recipe! We were introduced to grits several years ago at a reunion in Lafayette and like them a lot. A cancer cookbook tells me they are easy for upset tummies to handle, too.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 -4 ounces cheese (American, Cheddar, Havarti, Swiss)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a heavy-bottomed saucepan with cooking spray (Pam).
- Bring 2 cups water, onion, instant chicken bouillion, garlic, pepper and butter to a boil.
- Add grits to the boiling mixture.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until grits soften.
- Add half and half and cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Serve hot.