Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This hearty casserole bread was a prize winner in the 23rd Bake-Off contest in the early 70's. The moist and chewy bread is even better the second day! *Cooking time(passive time) includes time for bread to rise twice.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- Generously grease 1 1/2 or 2 quart casserole dish or 9x5" loaf pan.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, cheese, sugar,salt and yeast; blend well.
- In small saucepan, heat milk and margarine until very warm (120 to 130 degrees F.).
- Add warm liquid and eggs to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, stir in remaining 1 cup flour.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel.
- Let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F.) until light and doubled in size, about 45-60 minutes.
- Stir down dough to remove all air bubbles. Turn into prepared casserole dish.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until ight and doubled in size, 20-25 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover dough.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Remove from casserole dish immediately; cool on wire rack.