1/7 Photos of Easy Cheddar Walnut Bread
From The Irish Pub cookbook, this delicious variation on traditional brown soda bread is from Durty Nelly's pub-restaurant in the village of Bunratty, County Clare. It's easy to make and slices nicely, but note it's not like American bread you're used to but an Irish style bread with a slight "bitter" taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Lightly butter a 9" x 5" x 3" pan.
- 3In a food processor, combine the flours, mustard, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar; pulse 2-3 times to blend. Add the butter and process for 10-15 seconds, or until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside one tablespoon of the cheese and one tablespoon of the walnuts for the topping and add the rest to the food processor, pulsing 8-10 times to blend.
- 4Add the eggs and buttermilk and process for 10-20 seconds, or until a soft dough forms. Spoon into the prepared pan, smooth the top with a rubber spatula that has been dipped in buttermilk, and sprinkle the remaining cheese and walnuts over the top.
- 5Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Cheddar Walnut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.8
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.4 mg
- Sodium 506.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 9.2 g