Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Savory side dish flavored with a blend of garlic, cheese, and parsley. You can make this a main dish by adding some diced chicken, turkey, or ham.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups long grain rice (cooked)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (optional) or 2 cups turkey (optional) or 2 cups ham, diced (optional)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, and saute the onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a shallow, greased 1-quart baking dish.
- Bake uncovered until knife inserted near center comes out clean (40-45 minutes).
This did not turn out so well. My husband said the texture was "like egg foo young gone bad." It was almost like a mix between quiche and rice, and those two things just shouldn't go together. The taste was pretty bland - although I did use a mixture of swiss and muenster (had to use it up) instead of the cheddar; this is why I'm giving it three stars instead of two, since I changed an ingredient. It might work better to use less eggs, more garlic - I'm not sure, but it just didn't work for us.