Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
If you looking for ways to use your instant potato flakes then here is a really great recipe! feel free to adjust all amounts to taste, this takes only minutes to make and my family loves them, don't try this recipe using regular mashed potatoes, it will not work --- this recipe was tested using Idahoan brand mashed potato flakes but I am sure any brand will work fine, servings is only estimated.
- 2 cups instant potato flakes
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal cornmeal
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a bowl combine the first 9 ingredients.
- In another bowl mix the milk with egg and melted butter whisk until well combined; add to the dry mixture; mix well.
- Let mixture stand for about 10-12 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Using slightly wet hands tightly shape into small balls (about 2 tablespoons) place into hot oil then press down lightly with back of a spoon).
- Cook about 3 minutes on each side or until browned adding in more oil as needed.
- Remove to paper towels.
These did not go over well at my house - but I loved them! Especially hot out of the pan. This is a very economical side dish. I forgot to add the green onions (which I had), but I do believe bacon would be a welcome addition (thanks, Mandy!). Another great posting, Kittencal!
Well these are so easy to make. I followed the exactly and my family loved them. I am thinking that this would be a good recipe to make at the cottage. It is fast, easy and there are not many dishes to clean up, and of course no potatoes to peel. Thanks for the recipe.