Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These can be made days in advance, covered and frozen, just remove from the freezer, thaw and pop in the oven, these make a wonderful weekend snack or they are wonderful to serve at a get together! If possible purchase the extra thin sandwich bread for this, thinly sliced pumpernickle party rounds work well also. Double or triple the recipe and keep some ready in the freezer for snacks!
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely grated old cheddar cheese
- 6 slices cooked bacon (cook until crisp and then crumble very finely)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (or use 1 small yellow onion)
- 2 tablespoons bottled prepared horseradish (can use less)
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, add for extra heat (optional)
- 8 -10 slices thin firm white bread, crusts removed
- In a bowl mix together grated cheddar cheese, bacon, horseradish, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cayenne (if using) until very well blended.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the mixture evenly to the edges of the bread slices.
- Arrange the slices on a baking sheet in one layer.
- Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes or until firm but still able to slice.
- Cut each bread into 4 squares, then place onto a baking sheet.
- Set oven to 375º degrees.
- Bake the toasts for about 15-20 minutes or until begginning to brown around the edges.