Recipe by Ilysse
I just love casseroles. Mixed this up tonight after getting tired of the bag of left over stuffing mix in the pantry. It was very good and Mike said I should make it like this from now on. Wish I could think of a better name for it. Feel free to use light sour cream and low fat cream soup as they do work well in casseroles. I love the mixed veggies 'cause I like the addition of the potatoes and lima beans and think the extra veggies round out the dish, but feel free to use whatever veggies you like best. I didn't have any in the house but if you happen to have some mushrooms on hand they would probably also be very good in this. Since they weren't in the origional creation I decided that it wouldn't be right to place them as an ingredient but just a suggestion. You could use canned mushrooms or cook up fresh sliced ones with the meat and onions.
Top Review by Midge Plourde
While I didn't care very much for this recipe, my husband liked it. I found it somewhat bland. Maybe the addition of tomatoes in some form, and perhaps some additional cheese might help. Maybe even some fresh garlic.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box Kraft macaroni and cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained
- 2 cups prepared stuffing, prepared
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Brown meat and onion together breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Meanwhile cook the macaroni in boiling water until done and drain.
- Pour the cheese powder over the macaroni and add the sour cream and the mushroom soup and mix well. (Do not add the milk or butter called for on the box).
- When the meat is brown and the onion is soft drain off the fat (you will notice that the mushroom soup can works well as a container for your fat which is why you add it b4 draining the meat :-)) add the meat and onion to the macaroni mixture and stir well to combine.
- Pour half the meat & macaroni mixture into a casserole dish (1.5 to 2 qt will do but a loaf pan works if you don't have a casserole dish :-)).
- Spoon in all the mixed veggies in a layer over the meat then top with the remaining meat mixture.
- Spoon the prepared stuffing on top of the casserole.
- Place in oven and cook for 30-45 minutes.
- If desired turn on broiler to high and let the top brown a little under the broiler.
- Serve hot.