Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
The other vegetables in this soup not only make it very nutritious, but help the soup from being too sweet.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 cups water
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt, as needed
- black pepper, as needed
- In a dutch oven or other large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat and saute the onion until it is clear but not yet brown.
- Add the water, carrots, potatoes, lettuce, celery and curry powder. Simmer, covered, over medium-low heat until everything is very tender, at least 40 minutes. Let the soup cool for about 15 minutes.
- Puree in batches, and then return the pureed soup to the dutch oven (this soup freezes well at this point).
- Add the cream and salt and pepper to taste. This soup tastes good with extra black pepper.
- Heat until hot but not yet boiling.