Recipe by Curt Newport
This is a great marinade, very easy, and you probably already have everything you need...just need to get the meat
Directions See How It's Made
- Get your flap steak at a mercado (Mexican Market) or Carniceria (Mexican Butcher) if one is available.
- It will also be sold as Carne Asada Ranchera.
- If this isn't available, you may also purchase skirt steak at your local grocery store, but it's not quite the same.
- The flap steak has the texture and fat content to come out'just right'.
- Mix your marinade together in a bowl large enough to hold all plus the meat.
- Place the meat in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Grill the meat on high heat on your grill, until it is brown on both sides.
- Cook to a temperature you prefer.
- For most this is well done, I happen to like it so it is stil juicy.
- Serve with flour or corn tortillas, and the sides you like, such as cheese, onions, hot sauce, etc.
- I recommend fresh flour tortillas (probably at the same mercado you got the meat at), and by fresh, I mean made that day.
- Regular tortillas are ok, but fresh is better.
- If you have a Chevy's or Don Pablos or other restaurant that makes their tortillas fresh for their customers, go buy some.
- It's usually about$2 per dozen, and well worth it.