I like to make this for football parties or for any casual get togethers. It turns out great every time! Make it ahead of time and put it in zip-lock bags to keep fresh and crunchy.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pop the popcorn and distribute it evenly between 2 large baking sheets with rims.
- Divide the peanuts in half and sprinkle on top of the popcorn.
- In a heavy saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and molasses.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drizzle over the 2 sheets of popcorn, distributing it as evenly as possible.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes, gently turning the popcorn with a large spatula every 3 minutes.
- As it bakes, the caramel will melt and cover the popcorn evenly.
Way easy. Way good. I used air popped corn. Then I melted buter, sugar & molasses in a big soup pot, big enough to hold all the popcorn and mixed it in that. Only took 10 minutes in oven. Do not use top rack as it might burn. I did add kosher salt after it came out of the oven. Molasses is good but not needed.
Yummy. Tastes just like Cracker Jacks! I didn't add any nuts and I made a failed attempt at adding chocolate by melting Herseys Kisses (they don't melt so well when you are TRYING to melt them!! They ended up gritty and chalky- but tasted pretty good!). I tried to mix the chocolate in but it didn't turn out so well. Oh well! It tasted good anyway. Luckily I had made this just to satisfy my sweet tooth today ;) Next time I will use the kind of chocolate that was made for melting or stick with the original recipe and add peanuts. Thanks for sharing!
YUM! This is good! I especially like that it uses molasses instead of corn syrup. Great flavor yet quick to make. I used honey roasted peanuts and 2 bags of Orville Redenbacher organic smart pop, which yielded about 16 cups popcorn. Be sure to remove the kernels before adding caramel sauce!! For our tastes, I would double the caramel sauce to completely coat the popcorn. We inhaled this! Thanks for sharing the recipe!