Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great for drizzling on an apple cake, spice cake, chocolate cake or you name it! Any recipe calling for a caramel frosting, this is it!
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 5 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- In saucepan, mix brown sugar, milk, butter and salt. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Once boiling, remove from heat. Let cool down.
- Stir in vanilla flavoring. Add powdered sugar by adding 3 tablespoons at a time. Beat until smooth and creamy.
I think this is the same recipe as this http://www.food.com/recipe/caramel-cake-frosting-icing-44051/review?lrc=true
It was very simple and delicious as well. I had to add a bit more milk while beating because I didn't want it to be stiff. This is my first time making caramel frosting but this will definitely be a recipe I'll use again.
Used a full recipe and topped two 8x8 recipe #216163 and still had some left over, only used 1 2/3 cups of the powdered sugar (icing sugar mix here) but wishing I had stopped at one as it was drying out quickly spreading in on the first cake and put the rest back on the stove to melt it down more to become fluid and went on much better on the second. Decorated one with crushed macadamia nuts and left the second plain and sent them to the DS's music recreation group where they gave it the thumbs up and really enjoyed. Thank you Seasoned Cook, made for Recipe Swap #29 June 2009.