Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quick and easy dinner.
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, swiss, your choice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb pizza dough, prepared fresh or tube of purchased
Other fillings that you desire
- onions or mushrooms or spinach or pesto sauce or pepperoni or sausage or bell peppers or olive (etc)
- Line large colander with coffee filters or cheesecloth and place in large bowl.
- Add ricotta cheese, drain 30 minutes.
- This step can be skipped although it may cause your calzone to be a bit moist and watery in the middle.
- Mix ricotta in bowl with other cheese (s), organo, garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 2 or 4 pieces depending on how big you want your calzones.
- Shape each into ball into a circle.
- Divide and spread cheese mixture on the dough.
- Divide other fillings and place on top of cheeses.
- Fold circles in half and press edges with tines of a fork.
- Arrange calzones on pizza stone or pan.
- Prick top with fork.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with side of pizza sauce.
Kim these were great and a real tasty supper. I cleaned out the frige of lunchmeat and cheeses so we had a calzone smorgasbord! Ham and swiss was good, sausage and mozzarella was good and so was turkey and cheddar. Making these again tomorrow for the BF, know he will love them too! TY for one I will be making lots of!