Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are very easy to make and so delicious!
- 2 (16 ounce) cans Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- confectioners' sugar
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix with brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon; mix until well combined.
- Add in the eggs and melted butter; mix until combined.
- Using your hands mix in the oats.
- Set aside 1-1/2 cups of the mixture then spread the remaining mixture into the bottom of the baking dish, pack down with hands to form a crust.
- Spread the whole cranberry sauce over the crust.
- Pinch off pieces of the remaining mixture and sprinkle over the top of the cranberry sauce (does not have to cover the sauce completely).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Cool completely before slicing (refrigerating will make slicing easier).
- Sprinkle lightly with confectioners sugar after the bars are cooled.
Followed recipe exactly and dish looked very nice after baking. Allowed to cool completely prior to serving but was very disappointed in taste. I used a standard golden vanilla cake mix and Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce. Flavors did not seem to compliment eachother and it tasted way too sweet, even with tart cranberry sauce. Although my husband really enjoys sweets he said the recipe was not a "keeper." May try the same concept again except with a homemade cookie crust.
Great flavors! I used Chocolate cake mix and 1/4c Splenda Brown sugar I baked thefull 40 minutes, since the cente seemed still very wet, but the outside was geeting dry. Refrigerated as suggested and did not cut until next day.They were still very moist/wet, though fully cooked. Had to erat them with a fork. :-0 Next time I will only use 1 can cranberry sauce and use almond extract. I might even add some craisins and walnuts. Chocolate and cranberry who could ask for more. Thanks for posting.
This was very good! The whole family enjoyed them. We tried them right out of the oven, instead of waiting for them to cool. It was like a pie. They were very sweet, but that was the cranberry sauce being too sweet, not the crust. DH wants to try it with apple pie filling. I had some later that night after they cooled, and I think they are fantastic. They mellow when cooled. Very simple and good dessert. I will make these often! Made and Reviewed for New Kid On The Block Tag - Thanks! :)