Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice way to use a cake mix without baking the whole cake and worrying about it sitting around with only a few people to eat it. Just knead the cake mix a little before opening to break up any large lumps before measuring. I just refrigerate the other 1/2 of the mix to make at another time. You should be able to make two cakes out of one cake mix. I've included a recipe that I created for Chocolate frosting but It's optional. You can frost it or choose not to. (I wouldn't double it. It's rich and you only need the amount recipe makes)
- 1 2⁄3 cups cake mix (from a 18.25oz box of mix)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
- 4 -5 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease an 8x8x2-inch square pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and beat for one minute at medium speed with a hand mixer.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Tap pan on counter once or twice to release any air bubbles.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done (or 375° for 20-25 minutes).
- For Frosting: Mix all ingredients in a bowl until blended and it reaches spreading consistency. Spread evenly over cake.