Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is so easy and people just love these cabbage rolls. Much of the flavor comes from the sauerkraut and tomato juice, so there is little else to it. I have substituted lean ground beef for half of the ground pork with much success.
- 907.18 g ground pork
- 236.59 ml uncooked rice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 907.18 g can tomato juice
- 793.78 g can sauerkraut
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes
- 2 head cabbage
- Combine pork, rice, onions, pepper, garlic powder, salt and paprika in large bowl.
- Steam heads of cabbage until leaves remove easily (about 5 minutes each in microwave along with 1/2 cup water, covered with plastic wrap works well) Take handfuls of meat mixture and roll up in cabbage leaves.
- Place rolls in roasting pan.
- After covering the bottom of the pan, top with half of the sauerkraut and half of the tomatoes.
- Repeat with second layer.
- Pour tomato juice over top.
- Cover and bake 2 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
I love stuffed cabbage and this recipe is so very good! My roaster is a larger one so I did not get two layers of cabbage rolls. I peeled the leaves off the head of cabbabe instead of steaming, used two cans of V-8 juice, and omitted the salt. With an hour left to cook, I quarted some potatoes and added those making sure they were covered in the sauce. The sauerkraut adds a very nice smokey flavor and the pork holds nicely together while roasting. Comfort food at its best!! Thank you so much for posting your recipe!!
These are delicious...thank you for the recipe!!!
Perfect,I have been searching for a recipe like my mom used to use and yours is spot on. I can't wait to try it.thanks for posting it