This recipe is so easy and people just love these cabbage rolls. Much of the flavor comes from the sauerkraut and tomato juice, so there is little else to it. I have substituted lean ground beef for half of the ground pork with much success.
- Combine pork, rice, onions, pepper, garlic powder, salt and paprika in large bowl.
- Steam heads of cabbage until leaves remove easily (about 5 minutes each in microwave along with 1/2 cup water, covered with plastic wrap works well) Take handfuls of meat mixture and roll up in cabbage leaves.
- Place rolls in roasting pan.
- After covering the bottom of the pan, top with half of the sauerkraut and half of the tomatoes.
- Repeat with second layer.
- Pour tomato juice over top.
- Cover and bake 2 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.