1/1 Photo of Easy Cabbage Casserole - Tastes Like Cabbage Rolls
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
This is a great recession meal. Very inexpensive yet HEALTHY and filling! You just do not find that very often. So many recipes that are quick and easy... one pan wonders... etc.. are high in fat and calories and lack much nutrition. I like to hide more veggies in here too! Think carrots, celery, etc,, grated, diced, chopped whatever. If you like spicy foods try Hot & Spicy V8 here and you can even add some cayenne if you like. There is just something we like about spicy mixed with sweet- so the hint of sweetness in the sauce is fantastic. At my house, whoever finds the bay leaf is the lucky one! Just do not eat it Hope you enjoy this comforting casserole!
My Private Note
very am ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium cabbage (shredded and bagged cabbage or coleslaw mix works great and saves this step)
- 16 ounces ground turkey or 16 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like)
- 1 eggs, beaten or 1 egg substitute
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1Saute onion and garlic in a large skillet for about a minute. Add meat and cook, stirring often, until meat is no longer pink. Drain well and let cool to room temperature. When meat has cooled add egg, milk and rice.
- 2Meanwhile, remove tough outer leaves from cabbage & remove core. Shred cabbage if not using a bag of shredded cabbage. Saute the cabbage in the same skillet used before.
- 3In a large bowl mix all the sauce ingredients together. Place some of this mixture in the bottom of a sprayed 10x13 casserole dish so you have a nice layer of sauce. Try not to use more than half though.
- 4Layer half the cabbage on top of the sauce. Layer all the meat on top of the cabbage. Top with remaining cabbage and then finish by pouring all the remaining sauce on top.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until everything is hot and bubbly.
- 6Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Remember- whoever finds the bay leaf is the lucky one! Just do not eat it!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Cabbage Casserole - Tastes Like Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.4
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 575.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 15.0 g