Prep 3 mins
Cook 12 mins
This microwave recipe was given to me by my mom about 20 years ago. It is sooo easy to make and tastes delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (keep extra available)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 ounces milk chocolate
- sliced almonds (optional)
- Rub the top of a microwavable mixing bowl with (extra) butter. Place butter into bowl. Pour sugar directly on butter. Add salt and water.
- Cook approximately 7-8 minutes (sometimes I have seen some microwaves take up to 12 minutes). Start watching at this point so as not to overcook. Candy is done when it's the color of a Heath bar or brown sugar.
- Pour mixture over sliced almonds on a buttered cookie sheet. Don't scrape the bowl! Cool!
- Top with melted chocolate (and more almonds if you wish) and let cool some more.
- Break into pieces and serve. (I use a regular table knife -- just be sure not to cut into your cookie sheet!) Enjoy!
This didn't seem to turn out, but I believe that's all my fault. My microwave is slow and I was getting nervous because it had already been cooking for over 12 minutes. I should have left it in a little longer. The edges are great - taste just like toffee. But the center is pretty much just sugar. It appears that the butter spread out to the edges which is why it tasted more like toffee there. I'm out of nuts, so I didn't use any, but I sprinkled chocolate chips on top. Still tastes good!
This was amazing! Just be sure that it is DONE (light brown in color) before you pull it out of the microwave, no matter how long it takes. On a humid day in the South, using a powerful microwave, it took 15 anxious minutes to achieve perfection. Well worth the wait! :)
Very easy to make, it came out perfectly!!! A +++++