Recipe by Spankie
In my collection from I don't know where - this is one of the most often requested dinners by my family and guests. Serves 2 (but easily doubled or tripled) Core plus 3.5 WPA or 7.5 flex points (approx). This is a dieter's special dinner posing as company fare - truly decadent. I serve with steamed broccoli and baked potatoes; potatoes served "bare" (but topped with pan juices) with extra pepper, spices and/or Butter Buds.
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs (to reduce core points, combine 1/4 cup bread crumbs with 1/4 cup cornmeal)
- 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon flour, divided
- 9 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts (I prefer tenders, pounded thin)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons canola oil or 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 slices provolone cheese, cut into strips (1/2 oz each)
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In shallow bowl or on a paper plate, combine bread crumbs (or combination of bread crumbs and corn meal) with 2 tablespoons flour.
- Dip chicken into egg, making sure all sides are coated; then dredge in crumb mixture. Repeat procedure with all chicken pieces, being sure to use all of the egg and crumbs. Set aside.
- In 10 inch skillet, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until both sides ar light browned and chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side; tranfer to plate and keep warm.
- To same skillet, add mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon flour and stir quickly to combine.
- Add broth and wine and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- Return chicken to skillet and top evenly with cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.