Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe only uses a few ingredients and is fairly easy to make.
- 1 pint water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan
- Add the Brussels sprouts, nutmeg and salt.
- Bring back to the boil, lower the heat, cover and cook gently for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain Brussels sprouts and arrange in an ovenproof dish.
- While the sprouts are cooking melt half the butter in a frying pan, add the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the ham.
- Sprinkle onions and ham mixture over the Brussels sprouts, then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Dot with the remaining butter and cook in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Made this today for our New Year's Day dinner of pork and sauerkraut. Left the cheese off since I wasn't sure if it would go well with sauerkraut. Used onion powder instead of an onion. It was delicious. DH really enjoyed it. Can't wait to make again and top with Parmesan. Thanks!
This is a great recipe to make people love brussels sprouts!! I cooked them in the microwave and then put them in the oven with some prosciutto instead of the ham. We loved this! Thanks Nyteglori! :)
I only had a pound of brussel sprouts but kept the rest of the recipe as written. I didn't add the nutmeg. We all enjoyed these.