I really didn't enjoy eating vegetables as a kid. When I moved to Stockton, California I discovered the wonderful taste of asparagus. Every April over 30,000 people flood into Stockton for the annual Asparagus Festival, with good reason. It's really a delicious vegetable that goes so well with everything (fish, meat, chicken). This is my favorite way of preparing asparagus. It's easy, quick and simple. And it's yummy!
- Rinse the asparagus spears.
- Snap off the tough ends of the spears.
- Place the asparagus in a shallow metal or ceramic pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle sea salt or kosher salt over the asparagus.
- Grind fresh black pepper over the asparagus.
- Shake the pan back and forth to distribute the olive oil, salt and black pepper over the asparagus.
- Plan on the oven rack about 6 inches under the broiler.
- Broil for 11 minutes, or until the asparagus has a nice broiled char to them.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!