Recipe by Jen T
I saw this being made on TV (AWW) and thought it looked really good. On the programme they said to serve with toasted slices of french bread which were topped with crumbled blue cheese and grilled. I didn't have any on hand so I topped mine with parmesan cheese. I also, the second time round added some chopped bacon and simmered for another 15mins after I had blended the soup. You could also top each bowl of soup with a spoon of cream for a special occasion.
Top Review by Snowmunch
Simple but excellent recipe, not to mention healthy if you don't add bacon. I made some changes - a white (sweet) onion, an extra garlic clove, half a small celeriac instead of a potato, half a red chili (spicy so maybe only a quarter would suit most people) and lastly crumble into the serving bowl a generous portion of feta cheese - the slightly sour creamy taste blends so well the other ingredients. I ate two thirds of the recipe (for 6) before not one more spoonful would fit. But wow, that is one of the best soups I've ever tasted.
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or use 2teasp from a jar)
- 1 large head broccoli (trimmed and chopped, about 500g)
- 1 potato (peeled & diced or leave skin on if you prefer)
- 6 cups chicken stock (homemade, from a carton or use 6teasp granules to 6 cups water or to your taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 slices bacon (diced, optional variation)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large deep pan heat the oil over medium and add the onion & garlic.
- Cook gently until softened for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potato, broccoli and stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 20 mins until vegetables are cooked.
- Either pour into a blender and blend or use a stick blender in pan to make a smooth mixture.
- If using a blender add soup back to the pan and heat gently.
- It is at this point you can add the chopped bacon and simmer til bacon is cooked, about 15mins, then check seasoning.
- If not adding the bacon, check seasoning and add salt & pepper to taste & reheat gently.
- Serve in nice bowls with slices of french bread which have been toasted on one side, turned over and topped with either blue cheese or whatever cheese you have on hand and grilled for a few mins til melted & crispy, on the side.
- Note: cooking time does not include the extra time for the bacon addition.