Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very little chopping/preparation involved in this thick satisfying soup. You only have onions to chop, because it uses frozen chopped broccoli and frozen cubed hash browns. You could use fresh broccoli and potatoes, but the prep time and cook time will be much longer.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 3 cups diced frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 16 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product, cut into cubes
- In a large soup pot, melt butter; add onions and sauté until they're soft.
- Add chicken broth, broccoli, hash browns, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and gently simmer for 10-15 minutes until everything is soft.
- Stir in the fat-free half and half.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the 1/4 cup milk (I do this by shaking them in a jar).
- Add the dissolved cornstarch to the soup.
- DO NOT allow the soup to boil. Stir and cook until thickened. This may take 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the Velveeta cubes. Stir and cook gently until fully melted.