Recipe by MumbaiFan
This recipe has been in our family for generations. I like it because it can be made with frozen or fresh shrimp, is easy to make and tastes fabulous with steamed basmati rice.
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled,deveined and cleaned
For the Mixture
- 1⁄4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 medium red onions or 1 medium white onion (works too)
- 1 small tomatoes
- 3⁄4 tablespoon peppercorn (vary depending on your taste for pepper)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander seed
- 3⁄4 tablespoon indian garam masala powder (available at Indian store)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon deggi paprika (available at Indian store)
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder (Indian store again)
- 6 ounces cans coconut milk (reserve the other half for adding to the curry at the end)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind the ingredients listed for the mixture together in a blender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a wok.
- Add the blended mixture to the wok and cover and let cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the cleaned shrimp to this mixture along with one and a half cups of water.
- Cover and let cook for 15 to 20 minutes till the shrimp is cooked through.
- Add the remaining can of coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Top off with chopped coriander.
- That's it!