Recipe by Kaylenesue
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. Easy as can be and simple few minutes and done. Can eat alone as meal with bread or added to breakfast as side item with eggs and you are set to go. Back when I was working with Weight Watchers I was craving Cracker Barrell hashbrown casserole and figured out a way that I could still have this with out all the calories. By subing 2% milk fat cheese products and olive oil instead of regular oils and low fat soup I still enjoyed the item as much as I did Cracker Barrell and it freezes well too.
- 2 (20 ounce) bags Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans low-sodium cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- 2 (8 ounce) bagsshredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package cubed ham
Directions See How It's Made
- since product is fridgerated all you have to do is put a lil bit of oil in skillet to brown off the shreds with about 1/4 cup should be enough.
- In large skillet start with diced onion and diced or cubed ham and oil, allow the onions and ham to sautee until onions are transparent in color and ham is slightly browned then adding the potatoe shreds to the onions and ham mixture and continue to brown slightly to a golden color and still a bit flexable not hard and crunchy, won't work if it hard and crisp. Once you have slight browning done then take and drain on paper towel covered plate long enough to rid all the pototes mixture of all the excess oil and helps to pat them off too. In a large baking pan about a 13 x 9 should work sprayed heavy with Pam. Mix soups with 1 bag of shred cheese and mix in large bowl big enough to hold the potatoes mixture and soup mixture. Mix well enough that all pototoes are covered well and layer this in baking pan with shreds until you have topped out with last layer being shredded cheese. Place in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes to allow all cheese to melt all the way through.
- the potatoes and is bubbling golden brown.