Recipe by AmyZoe
You can refrigerate this overnight if you prefer--just take it out of the fridge 15 minutes before baking. This is a nice one-pan breakfast casserole. Recipe courtesy of www.southernfood.about.com.
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage (spicy or mild)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese (shredded) or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- mild salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion, breaking up sausage with a spatula.
- When sausage is cooked through, drain off excess fat.
- In an 8x8x2" square baking dish, layer the hash brown potatoes, half of the shredded cheese, browned sausage and onion mixture, and remaining shredded cheese.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese.
- Bake, covered in a 350 oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Transfer casserole to a wire rack and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares.
- Serve with salsa, if desired.