Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This breakfast bake is made with a mixture of grits and cheese, baked with eggs broken on top. From: Southern U.S. Cuisine
- In a heavy skillet, brown sausage, breaking up with spatula.
- Drain off excess fat; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring salted water to a boil and stir in grits.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, pepper and milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add cheese, stirring until blended.
- Add sausage and half of the cheese sauce to cooked grits.
- Pour mixture into lightly greased casserole. With back of a large serving spoon, make 4 indentations in grits.
- Break an egg into each indentation.
- Bake at 325° for 15 to 18 minutes, or until eggs are done as desired.
- Reheat remaining cheese sauce to serve with grits and eggs.
This was a good filling breakfast. It took me longer that I thought for the eggs to cook. Once the whites were cooked, the yolk were hard, so I'm not sure how to remedy that. The cheese sauce was really thick and I added an additional 1/4 milk to thin it out for the top. All in all a good, filling breakfast, saved best for the weekend.