Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Inspired by a Better Homes and Gardens recipe, a Cracker Barrel copycat recipe, and my own curiousity and love for butter, these biscuits are perfect for sandwiches or biscuits and jam. No need to split them with a butter knife since the butter inside pre-splits them in the oven as they bake, leaving a perfect two-piece biscuit with a soft, fluffy, buttery interior.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in 4 tablespoons margarine and all shortening using a pastry blender, two knives, or a fork.
- Add milk all at once.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes for easier shaping if you wish.
- Pat out dough to about 1/8-1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, cut out five pieces of dough and place in baking pan, floured side up. (This should be half of your dough.).
- Melt margarine in the microwave and brush lightly over tops of dough in pan (You should have quite a bit left over).
- Cut out five more pieces of dough, regrouping dough as necessary, and place them on top of buttered dough pieces, floured side down.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until no longer doughy.