Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
There are a number of other Brazilian Cheese Puff Recipes out there but most of them use a starch and Parmesan cheese. This is a great variation that is a bit easier to make than the traditional puffs.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Beat egg whites and salt until stiff.
- Add enough cheese to allow mixture to be handled as dough. Roll into balls the size of a walnut. Coat with bread crumbs.
- Fry in hot oil, drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
Having no experience with making traditional cheese puffs I have nothing to compare to, they are easy but rather time consuming. Not sure if I perhaps I didn't beat the egg whites enough maybe but I had trouble getting it to handle like dough with the cheese so added a couple tablespoons white flour and that did the trick. I mixed old cheddar and swiss together and used corn flake crumbs instead of bread crumbs as that's what I had on hand. Two thumbs up all around once we had them served up with dinner and will definitely be making again for finger food night. I don't think I'll ever buy cheese sticks again. Thanks for the yummy recipe Nyteglori! Made and enjoyed for team Mischief Makers - ZWT #7.