1 hr 5 mins
Not many ingredients in the recipe but lots of flavor! Use your own favorite meatball recipe, I use my own Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs to make this. This is the kind of recipe that you can simmer for a longer or a shorter time, I have to say that the longer you simmer the more flavor it will have. Serve the meatballs with grated Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (prepared into your favorite meatball recipe, I use my own Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 -6 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 1Shape the ground beef into small meatballs using you favorite meatball recipe.
- 2Place into a baking dish in a single layer, and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes (just to release some of the fat) set aside until cool enough to handle.
- 3Dust the meatballs generously in flour then shake off any excess flour.
- 4Heat oil in a skillet with about 3 tablespoon butter.
- 5Brown the meatballs (working in batches) well on all sides for about 3 minutes; place in a bowl.
- 6In the same skillet saute the onion and garlic until soft (about 6-8 minutes).
- 7Return the meatballs back to the skillet.
- 8Whisk in wine and tomato paste in a small bowl to blend well, then add to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- 9Continue boiling until the wine thickens slighty, stirring with a wooden spoon constantly (about 8-10 minutes).
- 10Add in broth, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the flavors blend and the gravy thickens, stirring frequently (about 40-45 minutes, the longer simmering time the more flavor it will have).
- 11Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a large serving bowl.
- 12Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Braised Meatballs in Red Wine Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.8
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 113.5 mg
- Sodium 687.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 34.5 g