Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Not many ingredients in the recipe but lots of flavor! Use your own favorite meatball recipe, I use my own Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs to make this. This is the kind of recipe that you can simmer for a longer or a shorter time, I have to say that the longer you simmer the more flavor it will have. Serve the meatballs with grated Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (prepared into your favorite meatball recipe, I use my own Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 -6 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Shape the ground beef into small meatballs using you favorite meatball recipe.
- Place into a baking dish in a single layer, and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes (just to release some of the fat) set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Dust the meatballs generously in flour then shake off any excess flour.
- Heat oil in a skillet with about 3 tablespoon butter.
- Brown the meatballs (working in batches) well on all sides for about 3 minutes; place in a bowl.
- In the same skillet saute the onion and garlic until soft (about 6-8 minutes).
- Return the meatballs back to the skillet.
- Whisk in wine and tomato paste in a small bowl to blend well, then add to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Continue boiling until the wine thickens slighty, stirring with a wooden spoon constantly (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add in broth, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the flavors blend and the gravy thickens, stirring frequently (about 40-45 minutes, the longer simmering time the more flavor it will have).
- Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.