Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A recipe I found in the local newspaper, and have come to use often. It doesn't have any ketchup or tomato, and is something I get lots of requests for.
- 6 cups canned navy beans
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in baking dish or casserole.
- Add just enough water to cover beans.
- Cover with lid or foil, and bake at 250 degrees for 5 hours.
- Remove lid or foil and bake for 1 hour more.
This is a regular in my house! I was looking for a Stage 1 Feingold friendly baked bean recipe (no tomatoes) and tried this; my son absolutely loves these beans (my DH and I too)! The only change I have made is that I make them in a crock-pot, and will thicken the liquid using corn starch when they are close to done. They freeze well.