Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Try this on the grill, it's awesome! (heat the grill to high, sear the lamb for about 5 minutes on all sides, reduce the grill heat to medium and cook for about 30 minutes for med-rare). Plan ahead the lamb needs to marinade for 24 hours. Since the lamb is butterflied you will need a large baking pan to cook in the oven, to save time as your butcher to butterfly it for you.
- 1 (5 lb) boneless butterflied leg of lamb
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (can use a couple tablespoons more if desired)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (can use more)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- In a large heavy plastic ziploc bag combine the honey vegetable oil, lemon juice, Dijon, onion, garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and black pepper (I use about 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper).
- Add in the lamb and turn to coat in the marinade.
- Seal the bag tightly and place in a large bowl; refrigerate for 24 hours turning the bag occasionally to coat evenly in the marinade.
- When ready to cook, remove the lamb from the plastic bag and discard marinade.
- Let the lamb sit out a room temperature for 1 hour and 15 minutes before cooking or grilling.
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- Pat the lamb dry with paper towel.
- Heat oil in a large frypan, then sear lamb on both sides for 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the lamb to a large greased baking sheet.
- Cook the lamb for about 20-25 minutes for medium-rare.
- Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
excellent marinade . Lovely recipe! Turn both sides of the gas grill on high to start with then when meat is seared switch one side off and cook the meat on the side with the flame off. This produces indirect heat source. Maybe ten to 12 min then let meat rest.
This was absolutely great! I followed the recipe exactly as written, and cooked it on our Big Green Egg BBQ. I asked the butcher to butterfly the leg of lamb for me so this made the dish really easy. I used a fresh leg of Quebec lamb. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!