Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This comes from a cookbook called The Kids' Around the World Cookbook. This is an African recipe that my 10 yo made and we all loved it. We use a sweet curry, instead of a spicy one.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, soak the bread chunks in 1/2 cup milk, while frying the onions and ground beef.
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet and saute the onions over a low heat for ten minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Add the beef, curry, lemon juice, nuts, raisins, salt and pepper to the skillet and brown until beef is cooked through and no longer pink, stirring often. If not using a cast iron skillet, spoon beef into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the other 1/2 cup of milk and 2 beaten eggs into the bread chunks. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and pour gently over the beef, spreading it over the whole dish.
- Put dish in the oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours. The top of the bobotie should be set and golden brown.