Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Although there are several Black Forest Trifle recipes already on 'Zaar, none are exactly like this one. This one uses dark sweet cherries. It is a very yummy trifle and really easy to make. It needs to be created in a glass bowl so the pretty layers will show up. I use a punch bowl as I do not have a trifle bowl.
- 1 (8 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen unsweetened dark sweet cherries, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Cool ten minutes; remove from pan. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Prepare pudding mix according to package directions using the milk. Cover (laying plastic wrap directly on pudding so no "skin" forms and chill about 30 minutes.
- Place 1/2 of cake cubes in a 3-quart trifle bowl. Spoon 1/2 of cherries over cake. Spread 1/2 of pudding over cherries and top with 1 cups of the Cool Whip. Repeat layers.
- Garnish, if desired, with a sprinkle of cocoa powder.