Recipe by Old widow
I found this on another cooking site last year, I made it for a party at my sister's. It is incredibly good and so easy to make. I didn't feel it kept well for more than a few days so plan to serve it to a large enough group so it is all gobbled up fast. I made the cake layers a day ahead and found they were very easy to slice.
- 1 (18 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) packageinstant chocolate pudding
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chocolate extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- milk chocolate bar, about three 1 . 55-ounce bars, chopped
- 1 (24 1/3 ounce) containerready to eat cheesecake filling
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling, divided
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chocolate frosting
- chocolate-covered cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Grease and flour 2 9 inch round cake pans.
- Beat cake mix and next 7 ingredients with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute, increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes. Fold in chopped chocolates. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove ro wire rack to cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Using a serrated knife, slice cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer cut side up on cake plate. Spread with 1/3 of cheesecake filling. top with 1/3 of pie filling. Repeat procedure twice with remaining cheesecake filling and pie filling. Place final cake layer on top of cake with cut side down.
- Spread frosting on top and sides of cake. Decorate with chocolate covered cherries. Refrigerate until serving.