Recipe by Andtototoo
This is a southern Indian recipe, slightly adapted from "Cooking at Home with Pedatha."
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 -3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons split white Urad Dal
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chilies, broken into pieces
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hing
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 green serrano chilies, slit half-way up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the eggplant and dice. Put the eggplant into a medium-size saucepan with the water and turmeric. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the eggplant is very tender. Drain and mash. Set aside.
- In a different medium-sized saucepan put the oil, urad dal, mustard seeds and dried red chilies. Heat over high heat until the mustard seeds are popping and the urad dal is light brown.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in the curry leaves, ginger paste and hing.
- Add the mashed eggplant, the black eyed peas, the green serrano chilies and salt. Simmer the mixturefor 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with the cilantro.