This soup is a favorite pantry meal for my family. Easy, easy, easy to make and nutritious. I got the recipe from the back of a soup can but have improvised this soup many times. Feel free to adjust seasonings as you like.
- Saute onion in olive oil.
- When onion becomes translucent, add cumin.
- Cook 30 seconds, then add garlic and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add 1 can black beans and 2 cups vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat.
- Using a hand blender, blend the ingredients in the pot, or transfer to a blender.
- Add the second can of beans to the pot along with blended ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Serve soup with bowls of red onion and cilantro for garnish.
- I add a bit of cilantro to the pot, too.
- Can be doubled or frozen.
Delicious. We topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, green onions and crushed tortilla chips. I've also added browned ground meat to make it more of a meal. The second time I made this, I doubled this recipe except did not double the chicken stock so the soup would be thicker. This was a real winner at our house. Thanks for a simple and great recipe!
I love this soup. It's quick, easy and delicious. I usually add a can of milder Rotel tomatoes with the 2nd can of black beans. It's also good with a spoonful of fat-free sour cream in the bowl. Freezes wonderfully!
Have to agree-THIS IS THE BEST BLACK BEAN SOUP EVER! I've been looking for a black bean soup and others are so much more complicated without such tasty rsults! Added an extra clove of garlic (kid loves garlic and the smell of cooking onions and garlic) and had to use a can of fat-free refried beans because I only had one can of black beans. Perfection in a bowl. I've decided to go vegetarian 2-3 times a week and this will make the rotation. The whole family loves it!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!