Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This soup is a favorite pantry meal for my family. Easy, easy, easy to make and nutritious. I got the recipe from the back of a soup can but have improvised this soup many times. Feel free to adjust seasonings as you like.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped or finely chopped (whatever you prefer)
- Saute onion in olive oil.
- When onion becomes translucent, add cumin.
- Cook 30 seconds, then add garlic and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add 1 can black beans and 2 cups vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat.
- Using a hand blender, blend the ingredients in the pot, or transfer to a blender.
- Add the second can of beans to the pot along with blended ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Serve soup with bowls of red onion and cilantro for garnish.
- I add a bit of cilantro to the pot, too.
- Can be doubled or frozen.
Delicious. We topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, green onions and crushed tortilla chips. I've also added browned ground meat to make it more of a meal. The second time I made this, I doubled this recipe except did not double the chicken stock so the soup would be thicker. This was a real winner at our house. Thanks for a simple and great recipe!
I love this soup. It's quick, easy and delicious. I usually add a can of milder Rotel tomatoes with the 2nd can of black beans. It's also good with a spoonful of fat-free sour cream in the bowl. Freezes wonderfully!
I wish this would allow me to do 4 3/4 stars! This was a great starting recipe; the only real change I made was to add a third can of beans and to drain and rinse all the beans. I used all the other ingredients/steps, but I chose to pulse 2 cans of the beans in the food processor. Because of the added can of beans, I also added more cumin, to taste. I garnished the bowls with a dollop of salsa, sour cream and a few chunks of avocado! Outstanding! Just a little note; you could always reduce the broth by a 1/4-1/2 cup and stick with the two cans of black beans. Thanks, Tessa!