Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
I cooked up this recipe based on some other recipes for black bean soup that I've seen on this site and elsewhere to please my husband. It's very easy to make and he tells me it's delicious, though I haven't had a chance to try it on anyone else. If you want to substitute canned black beans for dry, I think 1 or 2 14 oz cans would be enough.
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups salsa (Market Pantry from Target)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans (refried pinto beans)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Soak black beans according to directions on package, and simmer in water until tender.
- Add oil and garlic to 3 quart pot, and cook just until garlic is soft. Do not let garlic burn.
- Add cumin to pot and cook just until fragrant.
- Add salsa and simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Add refried beans and black beans and stir until smooth.
- Add water and salt until soup is of desired consistency.
- Simmer on low for one hour.