Recipe by Oolala
From Real Simple magazine, Fake it, Don't Make it section, Nov. 2003. Canned black beans, salsa, sour cream and canned chicken broth-and Lime and dry sherry are optional. OK to freeze since it reheats beautifully.
Top Review by flower7
Very nice soup. I made this even easier by switching out one can of beans for refried black beans, so I could skip the blender step. Added sherry to today's serving and will try with lime instead with tomorrow's leftovers. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 cup salsa, jarred is OK, plus extra for garnish
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth, like College Inn
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, recipe said dollops
- 1 lime (optional)
- 4 -8 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- Heat salsa in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and broth, then heat to boiling; reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then spoon half the soup into a food processor or blender and puree.
- Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and heat through. (I think this means with the other half that is not pureed so that it has some texture).
- Serve with sour cream, additional salsa, and a squeeze of lime (if using). Or stir in 1-2 tablespoons dry sherry to each bowl.