Recipe by flower7
This is a fairly quick to throw together soup that I came up with recently and quite enjoyed the results! If you can't find refried black beans, you could use cooked black beans that have been pureed.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
This was delicious! Not too stew-y but not watery either, the perfect consistency. I had to add more spices at the end of the cooking time though. (We like pronounced flavor.) I also omitted the thyme and used freshly cooked black beans. Served with a dollop of creamy, mild guacamole. Very good on a cold, snowy day. Thanks for posting. cg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 (16 ounce) cans refried black beans
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice or 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- sour cream (for serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender.
- Mix in ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, thyme, allspice, and celery salt.
- Cook for a couple minutes to let the spices release their flavor then pour in the broth.
- Mix in tomato puree, refried black beans, black pepper, and sugar.
- Cook and stir until mixture is combined then add the whole black beans.
- Contine to cook until heated through.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve with sour cream.