Recipe by KatieBlank
This recipe is a black bean patty that can stand on its own - not a "burger" type recipe. I pan fry them, but I have a friend that is a die-hard deep fryer, and she prefers them that way.
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, for pan frying
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2-1 cup cheese (cheddar, colby jack, whatever you like... I use cheddar)
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk (more or less for moisture)
- salt, pepper, sugar to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (or 1tsp garlic powder)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons taco seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain beans.
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Stir in egg white, and add milk slowly until a sticky, spreadable paste forms. NOT runny, but not a solid blob.
- Add beans, and mix well. I do not mash ALL of the beans. The texture of a few whole beans is nice. However, I do stir the mixture vigorously to break up and mash about 1/3 of the beans.
- Add cheese and stir. If the mixture seems too dry, add milk.
- Form into patties of the desired size, and pan fry for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, salsa, guacamole, etc.